NINE LADIES

THE NINE LADIES STONE CIRCLE,
STANTON MOOR, ENGLAND.
Nine ladies stone circle is a bronze age stone circle on Stanton Moor in derbyshire, england. Stanton moor has many prehistoric remains, cairns, standing stones and stone circles. It is part of the Peak District National Park, and is much visited by walkers, and seasonal ceremonies are performed at the site by various pagan groups.


The King Stone

There are nine upright stones and one which was discovered in 1976 lying flat, and another stone called the King Stone about 50 yards to the south west.










Legend says the stones are the remains of dancing witches who were turned to stone for dancing to the sound of the devils fiddle, but when the full moon shines on the circle the ladies move around in a ritual dance once more.                                            
Nine Maidens has been the site of a 10 year protest and court battle between 1999 and 2009, against planned quarrying, which seems to finally have been won and the stone circle saved.

here are a couple of links for more information.




These lovely photographs were taken by my friend Clare.

7 comments:

  1. Beautiful place, and Clare's photos are great... especially LOVE the last photo of the misty winter trees...

    ReplyDelete
  2. These photos are amazing. thanks for posting this. I really enjoyed reading it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I should so love to see thse 9 ladies. I agree beautiful photos, very atmospheric.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Such wonderful photos, I never saw the ladies in the snow before

    ReplyDelete
  5. OH!! I am so happy they were able to stop the quarrying!! What a beautiful place!!!

    I love your blog and love things about England... I think I will spend some time here today!!

    Peace,

    Linda

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wonderful finding your blog today. Your subject matter is right up my alley of interests. Your post is illustrated beautifully. I'll be back -- barbara

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you for the nice comment. Glad youve found something of interest.
    mick

    ReplyDelete

welcome and thank you for visiting.